Phonics Forever explores the most effective way to teach children to read and spell, based on current educational research and leading-edge classroom practice—this is the course you wish you’d had when you did your teacher training.
*NEW* Available NOW to buy as a DIY Inset Training Day
Access everything you need to run your own in-service training day or twilight sessions with our fully featured course platform. Join Anne for the full Phonics Forever training via pre-recorded videos. Individual schools can purchase a whole-school site licence with lifetime access and full email support. Available in the shop now!
Written specifically for the Scottish context, this essential and challenging course:
- Discusses the complexities of the English language and how the Alphabetic Code can be taught and made tangible for learners
- Reviews current research, outlining what is regarded as best practice using the Principles of Systematic Synthetic Phonics
- Demonstrates why phonics isn’t just for early years—but for everyone—for ever!
- Considers current reading practice in Scotland including Curriculum for Excellence’s experiences and outcomes
- Explores leading-edge classroom practices for the teaching of reading, writing and spelling, including core practice and application of skills such as decoding and blending for reading and encoding and segmenting for spelling
- Provides practical advice, activities and resources to support teaching and continuous assessment, including how to engage learners and parents in this process
Phonics Forever equips delegates with the pedagogical subject knowledge, skills and resources to ensure that all children they work with succeed in reading. If you are looking for an evidence-based intervention to close the attainment gap in your school, this course will be of benefit to every teacher, regardless of age and stage.
To support all of the above, delegates will be introduced to Phonics International a complete, comprehensive and highly practical synthetic phonics programme approved by the DfE which is now free for schools. Written by Debbie Hepplewhite MBE, this engaging and flexible resource provides all of the materials necessary to establish consistent practice and methodology in school. As well as teaching children to understand the Alphabetic Code and to read, write and spell in a carefully planned and systematic way, the resource can be used as a spelling programme and also as an intervention at any stage, primary or secondary, for struggling readers.
Schools can also choose from other leading phonics programmes and resources, all validated by the Department for Education (DfE), which are based on the same research-informed principles and concepts covered in the training:
- Phonics International by Debbie Hepplewhite (for P1-P7 & intervention)
- Rocket Phonics from Rising Stars (Hodder Education) by Abigail Steel (for Primary 1-3)
- Floppy’s Phonics Sounds and Letters (Oxford University Press) by Debbie Hepplewhite (for Primary 1-3)
- No Nonsense Phonics (Raintree) by Debbie Hepplewhite (for Primary 1-3 & intervention)